American Canyon Ride
Looking for Adventure? Here’s your opportunity to explore an exciting canyon via historic wagon routes to remote Gold Rush sites in the American River Canyon. This dual sport adventure ride explores exciting dirt wagon routes, historic bridges and Gold Rush History of the American River Canyon. This exciting dual sport adventure ride is often described as the “Canyon Ride” due to its awe-inspiring river canyon walls towering 2,000 to 4,000 feet above the river, creating a majestic backdrop for cascading waterfalls within its deeply wooded canyon.
Yankee Jim’s Gold was discovered on the Divide in 1850 by ‘Yankee Jim,’ a reputed lawless character, and by 1857 the town was one of the most important mining towns in Placer County. By 1852 the Jenny Lind mind was discovered and hydraulic mining was introduced to the Yankee Jim’s area. By 1853 the first mining ditch in Placer County was constructed in this area which provide the water needed for the highly productive hydraulic mining. During the 1850s the town of Yankee Jim’s was an important trading center to the mines in the vicinity and the steep & deep wagon road on the North Fork of the American River canyon became a main thoroughfare for every type of traveler, from heavy wagons carrying mining equipment and supplies to solitary characters on horseback to prospectors on foot. By 1868 the mines in the Yankee Jim’s area had produced more than $10 million in gold and large scale hydraulic mining continued until the early 1880's. The dual sport rider of today who seeks adventure will travel down the same historic Yankee Jim’s wagon road which provided the main thoroughfare for the prospectors of the California Gold Rush.
The historic Ponderosa Way begins at the top of the ridge where the pavement ends and the adventure begins its journey down into the steep wooded canyon of the North Fork of the American River. As the historic dirt mining road reaches the half way point the dual sport rider is rewarded with panoramic views of the deep & steep canyon. Note to the DS Rider, the panoramic views are awesome but due to the steep canyon walls “keep one on the dirt road at all times”. Once you reach the bottom of the canyon you will venture across the wooden planks held up by the steel truss Ponderosa Bridge which spans the free-flowing North Fork of the American River. After your visit at the bottom of the canyon the historic mining road begins its climb up a series of switch-backs that don’t let up until you reach the top of the ridge.
Located high atop a narrow slice of ridge between the North Fork of the American River and Indian Canyon is the historic mining town of Iowa Hill. Gold was discovered here in 1853 by a group of miners from Iowa and as no one else was around to object, they named their camp Iowa Hill. By 1856, the mines in the area were producing in excess of $100,000 worth of gold a week but today only the local ruins, relics and hydraulic mining scares mark the signs of the once thriving mining town of Iowa Hill.
Lyman Gilmore claimed he “Flew his Airplane” 3 miles on May 15, 1902 (1 year and 7 months before the Wright Bros.) He owned several mines around Iowa Hill, including the Gilmore Mine where he mined for gold to support his aviation experiments and inventions. All his life Gilmore maintained that he could visualize in complete detail every one of his inventions and that a voice told him what to build and how to build it. That voice gave him the plans for a single low-wing construction, a monoplane. At the same time he conceived of an all-metal fuselage, an enclosed cabin, and a retractable landing gear. He put these ideas on a master drawing which was signed, witnessed, and dated April 27, 1893.
During the following years he had many other inventions but his strange ideas and uncooperative behavior made him a ridiculed and isolated man. Such an attitude prevented him from actually accomplishing as much as he could have. Under different circumstances, we could have had the use of the airplane a full generation earlier. In addition, Gilmore actually had no business sense, but posed a suspicious nature and an almost childish proprietary attachment to his inventions. That, sadly, is why he did not realize any financial gain from his efforts and why the world did not gain the use of many of his creations. On February 4th, 1951 Layman had a heart attack, While in the hospital attendants cut off his long beard and hair. He was also very much upset when he discovered that they had burned the old long coat he always wore. Understandably so.
Single-Day Ride (20 rider max)
This dual sport adventure ride is perfect for medium to large dual sport adventure bikes.
Off-road terrain is rated 'mild to moderate' with lots adventure.
Ride distance: 200 +/- miles round trip (75+ miles dirt roads)
One gas stop (125 mile range required)
Bring water & picnic lunch
Date: May 5, 2018
Meeting time: 9:00 a.m.
Meeting location: Starbucks Folsom
Ride returns to Folsom CA (approx. 5pm)
More details listed under "Book this Ride"